Friday, October 5, 2007

Inheritance

I have always been a huge fan of fantasy. As a child I was fascinated by elves, fairies, enchanted forests and anything else magical. I know this is a big part of why I love Enya's music so much. It never fails to carry me away to a make-believe world where nothing is impossible.

When I first heard about the Inheritance series, I thought it sounded kind of hokey. I read that is was written by a 15 year old, which intrigued me, but it sounded like a giant rip-off of Lord of the Rings meets Harry Potter. However, a few years ago I needed something to read and saw the first book, Eragon, sitting on my sister's book shelf. Purely to satisfy my curiosity of what a novel written by a 15 year old would be like, I borrowed it and started reading.


I thought the beginning was slow and I couldn't seem to get past the fact that it was written by a teenager. But finally I forgot about that and soon I was lost in a wonderful world of dragons, dwarves, magic and all things related. I couldn't put it down. Lucky for me I was a late-comer and the 2nd book, Eldest, was already in print. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.




I finished the sequel last night, and I am having a hard time coming back to the mundane reality of non-magical life. I am dying trying to find anything online that will tell me when the third book, yet untitled, will be released, but it seems to be a long way off. Ugh.

If you like fantasy at all, I strongly recommend the Inheritance series. What I love about it is that, although you can definitely see the influence that Lord of the Rings had on these books, it is definitely not a copycat version and it is not as dark and gory as LOTR. My only wish is that I could somehow insert the Enya songs that are running through my head as I read, creating my own soundtrack that was surely meant to go to this series.

No comments: