Sunday, August 31, 2008

Like A Kid On Christmas Morning

The second day after "meeting" Bill online we decided to exchange email addresses. When Bill gave me his address, I had my first panic moment, wondering if he really was a psychotic killer or creepy nymphomaniac. His email address was crotchrocket@something.com. I freaked out and said something to him about being offended and he quickly clarified that a crotch rocket is a type of motorcycle (also known as a bullet bike), his favorite kind. I breathed a sigh of relief. Obviously I am clueless when it comes to motorcycles. I had never heard of a crotch rocket before.

But Bill wanted one, bad. He wanted any kind of motorcycle, really. He's talked about it the entire 8 years we've been married. I always told him he could get one, someday, but in my mind that day was always far off in the distance.

That day has come. Bill's little red POS breathed its last breath a few weeks ago and he's been driving my dad's shop loaner mini van ever since. The wheels in his head quickly began turning, and even I couldn't deny the logic of buying something much more gas efficient to get him to and from work (one job is across the river, the other past the railroad tracks) and school (a half hour drive one way at best). It really did seem like maybe it was time to make his wildest dreams come true. I mean, the guy is working two jobs and going to school. Maybe he deserves treating himself to a little something. Or a big something.

And so, after much searching on craigslist, Bill is the proud new owner of a black 1980 Kawasaki 750.


It's a far cry from his dream bike (it's not a crotch rocket) but he doesn't care. He is glowing, giddy, ecstatic. He drives it every chance he gets. The kids think it is the coolest thing on the planet and instantly started begging for a ride. So yesterday we bought a kid helmet and Bill took them both for rides around the neighborhood. I know, a lot of you mom's are dying right now that I let my kids ride on the back of a motorcycle, but apparently I'm not that mom that says "No way." I just gave Bill a lecture (three times) about being careful and told the kids (three times) to NEVER LET GO. They loved it. They won't stop talking about it.


(Payson kept talking about Daddy's coyote motorcycle.
We finally figured out he was trying to say Kawasaki.)

A little boy's dream come true. And Payson's, too.

19 comments:

Kate said...

That is so funny. James would be jealous if he saw this post! Dream come true indeed :)

Jodi said...

So exciting for him! I won't be showing this to Mick though. And again I was a little slow with the acronym...but I think I figured it out. :) Have you gone for a ride yet?

Rachael said...

So, Kent came home Sunday and said, "Why didn't you tell me Bill got a bike?" I said, "What?" yeah, then my face broke and I said, "You weren't supposed to know." Every time I get on the internet the open page is some random site his has found with another bike! I am dying! I told him again he can't have one and he the nerve to tell me, "I don't remember asking"

Amy J. said...

That picture of Payson waiting with the helmet on has me laughing out loud! You can just see the anticipation.

Ms. Kristen said...

CU-TE! I love the look on Paysons' face! Love me some motorcycle...RMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

andrea said...

I used to think they were SO hot, but then I had a really bad motorcycle experience in highschool, and after that I have been competely anti-motorcycle anything. But, when we started looking around for a second car Barlow casually suggested maybe he could get a bike instead, and I actually agreed! He didn't end up going for it, but I have a feeling in the not-so-distant future he will probably be getting one. Maybe by then Bill will be ready for his crotchrocket and Barlow can buy this one from him :-)

Love the pictures!

Vanessa said...

You are the coolest wife ever! I'm sure you'll love the gas savings. Payson looks too cute in the giant bike helmet.

aubrey said...

Very nice! I wish I was a cool wife like you, Curtis bugs me all spring and summer for a motorcycle. Perhaps someday!

Brenda said...

I think you need a cute little buggy on the side so you can ride with him... Cute pics of the kids.

Heather said...

So fun! Jeremy misses his bike now and then, maybe he'll have to hitch a ride on back with Bill! ;)

Kris said...

Cute pictures Alicia. I love the one of Payson holding on for dear life behind Bill. Soo cute. How fun for Bill to get something he's always wanted. So fun.

Jessica said...

Yay for lower gas bills! Luke loves his. I still get nervous everytime he is on it but how can you deny that boyish grin??

Just FYI (I can't remember how old Payson is 4?) In Washington it's illegal to have anyone under 6 on the motorcycle. Ask me how I know, maybe cause I had a 2 year old riding on it with Daddy? Maybe.......Ü

Amy said...

I am anxious to hear Jason's reaction after he finds out about Bill's bike. I'm still thinking we better be watching the clock and keeping track of how many times Bill comes home late. I don't trust those two not to play around taking turns on those empty roads out there!

Shayla said...

I got to hear firsthand about Bill's new bike on the way home from school today. Macy was giddy telling us about how she went on a ride and that Kenzie should go, too. "Cause it's Sooooo-oooo fun!" :-) I actually know what "crotch rocket" means, since I dated a guy who drove one in college. Yeah, while Nate was on his mission. I just about died going for rides on those scary-fast motorcycles, but boy, the adrenaline rush was something else. So glad those days are over! So, have you gone for a ride yet? :-)

meohmyers said...

Make sure Bill has his motorcycle endorsement from the DMV to be licensed to drive it. Just trying to make sure those unnecessary tickets don't come to your mailbox. :)

I'm happy for Bill! He's so deserving of a new toy to reward him for all his hard work.

Those pictures of Payson had me laughing out loud. He's the cutest thing ever.

Brenda said...

Oh my gosh! You let your kids ride on a motercycle????....:) I have too, but ONLY around the block or so. Have fun and don't worry too much.

Debie Spurgeon said...

Payson waiting for his turn is just about the cutest, funniest picture I have ever seen. I can only imagine your kids excitement, Bill's too.

ashley said...

That picture of Payson with the helmet on is so cute! How fun!

JenFielding said...

Great pictures. I love Payson's perma grin. I imagine if we could see Bill's face it would be a mirror image.