Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Saddest Story You Will Ever Hear, But With A Happy Ending

Okay, get out your tissues, this is a tear-jerker. Friday night was Macy's school's Grandparent Bingo Night. She was so excited about it I thought she was going to wet herself. Her Grandma and Grandpa from Yakima were coming just to be there. Grandparent Bingo Night is only for the students and their grandparents, not parents or siblings, so we weren't there. I had to hear this story from three seperate witnesses, each one revealing yet another heart-wrenching detail that the others had not.

Well, at Bingo night, they have all kinds of prizes and raffles and stuff. Each student is given so many tickets to put in whichever box they wanted. For example, if they wanted a chance at all the prizes, they could put one ticket in each box that sat in front of the desired items. Or, they could put all their tickets in one box, hoping to win a particular item.

Well, Macy has been wanting a scooter for some time. And lo and behold, one of the prizes was a hot pink Razor scooter. Without hesitation, she put all her tickets in the box in front of the scooter.

Later on in the evening, the person drawing the tickets stood up and announced it was time for the winner of the scooter. Without saying anything, my sweet little girl quietly slid off the end of her bench and started to walk up to receive her prize. (They hadn't pulled a name out yet.) My mom and mother-in-law see what is happening, but are momentarily frozen, horrified as they realize what is happening. Fortunately, Amy was up by the front of the room taking pictures and also saw what was happening, so she pulled her aside just before she got to the front and explained that they had just pulled another girl's name out.

Then my precious little daughter walked back to her seat with her bottom lip quivering, trying not to cry. Amy later told me that Macy had said, "But I was supposed to get the scooter."

See, no one had explained to her that by putting all her tickets in one box didn't mean she automatically got the prize. She had no idea how a raffle worked. The next day she told me the whole story, still confused by the whole ordeal and said, "But Mommy, I put all my tickets in the box, I was sure to win." Her exact words. I wanted to start bawling.

Well, that night, after Bingo night ended, my in-laws brought Macy back to our house, and after Macy was in bed, told us the story. As I listened to the story, trying not to cry, I suddenly had this image in my head: My mom, out at some store at that very moment, buying Macy her very own scooter.

Oh, how well I know my mom. Sure enough, as soon as my in-laws left (it's 10:30), there's a knock on our door. What a surprise, my parents, standing there holding a Barbie scooter they had just bought, probably as soon as Bingo night ended.

My mom wanted to see Macy's reaction when she saw it, but that girl could sleep through a hurricane, so we ended up just laying it next to her in bed, up against her wall.

I fully expected to be woken up early the next morning with cries of "I got a scooter!" But never did. Not until I finally got up did I walk out to see Macy flying around the kitchen on her scooter. (She must not have wanted to wake us.)
"Look Mommy! My very own scooter!"

Bill says, playing dumb, "Did you get your own scooter?" And Macy says, "Yeah! It was in my bed when I woke up! I don't know who put it there."

And Bill says, "I know who." And Macy says, eyes open wide, "Santa?!"

We explained who it really came from, and I asked Macy when it was that she first saw it, hoping to hear about her reaction. She told me she got up with Payson (yeah, Payson has two moms) really early and when she went back to bed she saw it. "But I didn't go back to sleep, I just kept looking at it." She was so excited about it she couldn't go back to sleep, and it was probably 4 in the morning.

So, there it is, the saddest story I have heard in a long time and it was about my own daughter! I was so relieved it had a happy ending. You can always count on grandparents to give presents and make everything alright! (Thanks again, Mom!)

No comments: