Friday, November 10, 2006

Where Did That Come From?!

There have been a few times in the past when Macy has just made up a word when she didn't know the actual word. It totally cracks me up, because she just throws in this random non-word with such a straight face, as if that's what everyone calls whatever it is she's referring to. I have to try my hardest to not burst out laughing, so as not to hurt or embarass her.

Well, she hadn't done it in a long, long time. I figured she was getting older, her vocabulary is more expansive, she knows most the words. But yesterday she treated me to a wonderful little gem of a made-up word.

We were sitting on our couch playing Polly Pockets and I had three dolls and she had three. Well, she's very anal about the fact that I can only "talk" for my three and make them move, and she can only do it for her three. Well, for anyone who currently resides in Polly World, you know that Polly and all her friends are identical. The only difference is their hair color and style. And even those can be very similar. The weird thing is that some of them have the "real" doll hair (like Barbie) and some have molded plastic hair (like Ken).

Well, I kept getting confused about which were hers and which were mine. Finally, in complete exasperation at her mother's cluelessness, Macy says, "Mommy. All of yours have the "real" hair. See, it's soft. And all of mine have the hard, fugly hair."

Excuse me?

I have never in my life worked so hard at keeping a straight face. I knew exactly what she was trying to say. She has always had a hard time describing textures, and that's usually when she throws in a made-up word.

The funniest part is that I've heard that word before! When I was in middle school, it was a very horrible way to say someone was ugly (I can honestly say I never used it. Just heard it used.)
Ugly melded together with a very famous, very horrible four-letter word that starts with an F. You get "fugly".

I hadn't heard the word since then and I cannot even begin to describe the shock at hearing it come out of my daughter's mouth.

I instantly had to turn my head and stifle a laugh, while Macy chattered on about the different types of hair. I quickly turned back to her, so as not to give myself away, but my daughter misses nothing. (I think the shaking shoulders gave me away.) She kept on talking, but her voice faltered for a second and she was looking at me as if to say "I think you were just laughing at me, but I can't prove it."I quickly pulled my best innocent "I'm listening to every word you're saying and couldn't be more intrigued" look, and it must have worked because she was off coordinating their next outfits.

I'm terrified to see what word she'll "make up" next.

No comments: