Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Enchanted

One of these days I will blog about movies for grown-ups, but for some reason, all I've seen lately are kid movies.

On Monday, Macy and I saw this:


I went into it not sure what to expect. The previews actually had some parts that made me laugh out loud, but it also looked like it could just as easily go the way of cheese. I was happily surprised to find that it was what the previews made it look to be: a hilarious satire of the classic fairytale.

You probably all at least know the premise: It begins like every other Disney Princess movie, a cartoon princess singing in her cottage with her animal friends. But the twist here is that soon each animated character falls down a magic well...into the land of the real people (NYC). I found it interesting to see how each cartoon character looked like the actor who voiced them, and vice versa. In fact, I have to brag a little bit here. There was only one character I didn't already know was in the movie, and judging by his cartoon look and voice, I totally guessed who played him! (And he's not well-known. How good am I?) Anyway, the jokes came right away, as Giselle (Amy Adams) stumbles around New York, lost and confused, trying to find "the castle." Hilarity ensues.

Amy Adams was....wait for it....enchanting. Seriously, I can't think of a better word to describe her. She played the part so perfectly. She managed to portray the typical animated princess, with the over-dramatic hand gestures and sing-songy voice perfectly. I could have watched two hours of only her.

And who knew James Marsden (as the flamboyant prince searching for his princess who would complete his duet) had such comedic skills? He never failed to make me laugh.

Patrick Dempsey, well, let's just say the role didn't stretch his acting muscles all that much. It was like watching McDreamy follow a pretty redhead around New York with a six year old daughter in tow. That's not to say he wasn't charming, of course. And he did supply a few of the laughs.

The music was fun, especially because it was such blatant spoofing. (Giselle sings "Happy Working Song" that parodies Snow White's "Whistle While You Work" as she cleans up McDreamy's apartment with, not her usual woodland creature friends, but with the help of rats, cockroaches, and pigeons.) And when Giselle starts in on one of her spontaneous songs in the middle of Central Park, only to be joined by a nearby reggae band, McDreamy (I honestly can't even remember what his character's name was) looks around, totally baffled, and says, "I've never even heard this song!" Hilarious.

So that's a look at it from a grown-up's view. My six year old daughter seemed to be loving it until about three quarters of the way through when she leaned over and said, "I don't like this movie very much." Shocked, I asked why and she said, "Cause there's lots of bad parts in it." I asked for an example and she said, "Like the scary witch." Okay, I'd give her that one. The witch was scary. She's been asking for the movie on DVD ever since, though, so, overall I think it was a hit.

Fun cameos:
~McDreamy's secretary was the lady who did the voice of Ariel in the Little Mermaid.
~The lady who was the voice of Belle in Beauty and the Beast played a soap opera actress
~The singing voice of Pocahontas played a pregnant woman with lots of kids who lives in McDreamy's apartment building

See if you recognize the narrator of the movie, as well. Oh, and Carrie Underwood sings the ending song, Ever Ever After. It's pretty good. Also, Jon McLaughlin performs a song at the ball. That might mean something to you, but I've never heard of him.

So grab a little girl and go see this flick. Or, if you're more secure in your adulthood than I am, go alone or with your spouse.

And they all lived happily ever after....

16 comments:

dandee said...

We loved this one too. Did you remember Amy Adams was in a few of The Office episodes?

PRP said...

It was very cute. Grandma, the girls and I went and it was completely delightful until some nasty women sitting in front of me turned around and SCOLDED me for Sienna, behaving like a child, in a child's movie.

Let's just say my hormones got the best of me and I made her rue the day. I was SO MAD.

But the movie was lovely!

tharker said...

I've been wanting to take Hannah to see this movie. It sounds so cute. Once again, your review has made me want to see a movie even more!

Melissa Mae Johnson said...

I LOVED this movie. I've been listening to the soundtrack nonstop. I used to want to do voice overs for disney so bad, and after seeing this, it makes me want to put it on my "to do before I die" list!

Marilyn said...

I've seen it twice already and I adored it. The soundtrack is incredible, bought it as soon as I got home the first time. Made copies for my girls and we enjoy listening to it all the live long day!

Amy Adams was so perfect for this role, I just loved the movie so so much!

Marilyn said...

Oh, the Jon McLaughlin song is so beautiful and I have his entire album which is also very good.

meohmyers said...

We loved this movie and can't wait to own it! I had to drag my boys to come see it but they loved the chipmunk and actually laughed out loud sometimes. Once again, great review!

Heather said...

oh man, sounds great. Maybe I'll rent it so Brynners doesn't act like a child in the theater.

PRP said...

Good idea Heather...

Em and Ms said...

I still haven't seen this but I really want to! Friends in our ward have been to it multiple times and rave about it too.

Ms. Kristen said...

How do you remember all the details? I have a tiny memory pocket in my brain! Very good review! I noticed Little Mermaid voice lady....it is because we love to watch the extras on DVD's! I vote this movie the best child movie this holiday season! For some reason, I did not like Water Horse....too predictable!

Shayla said...

Oh the cheese! We liked it, too, your review made me remember parts that I had already forgotten. You are so good at that! Amy Adams is definitely worth watching the whole movie for. I think Nate could've done without it, but my girls were wide-eyed and amazed through the whole thing. The ending freaked Natalie out, but she always gets scared at movies. My favorite thing to do now is make them crazy trying to sing the woodland characters to help me with housework, since no one else will. :-) All I hear from them is, "MOOO...OOOM!" I guess I'll have to get that soundtrack, Kenzie would love it.

Noelle said...

my boys really want to see it but i think we'l wait until it hits the dolla theatre acrss the sreet.

Kristi said...

I can't wait until this movie comes out on DVD. I have the "How will she know that he loves her" song stuck in my head. Is it on the soundtrack? I better check it out!

Elise Peterson: said...

I loved this movie too! I actually wasn't all that attracted to Patrick Dempsey until he started singing to Giselle at the ball, and then I thought....oh yeah, I could definitely fall in love with him :)

{ bRee } said...

Oh my dear goodness! Could Amy Adams be any more of a princess! You are right about this movie Alicia, so enchanting. Disney might be making a comeback with this one.