Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Host

WARNING: This review may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk.


I never thought I'd ever say that I liked a book about alien body-snatchers. Ever. The only reason I even read it was because it was written by the same person who managed to make me, the most anti-vampire person alive, fall in love with a vampire. So I figured I'd give it a chance. And sure enough, Stephie didn't disappoint. How did she manage, once again, to make something so ridiculously absurd as alien body-snatchers not ridiculous or absurd? Girl's got skills.

I really, truly don't want to give very much away at all. All I'll say is basically what is on the book jacket, the bottom line of what the story is about: The earth is being taken over by alien body-snatchers, or "souls" as they are referred to in the book. A soul takes over a body, forcing the previous occupant out. However, there are a few humans who manage to resist. One of these humans is Melanie. When a soul named Wanderer (Wanda) takes over Melanie's body, Melanie refuses to leave. This poses a problem. Soon the two girls are sharing Melanie's body, and before long Wanda begins to have feelings for Jared, the man that Melanie loves and remembers vividly. Having a common interest now, they join forces to track him down and see if he is still alive and still human.

So, here's the breakdown of what I liked about it and what I didn't like:


I liked:

~ The love story. Although it doesn't hold a candle to the Twilight series, it was enough to make my heart flutter once or twice.

~ This heroine better than Bella. She wasn't whiny, moody, weak or klutzy. Interestingly enough, I am talking about the alien, Wanderer, not the human, Melanie.

~ The action/adventure and suspense. Although it was slow at times, I was often on the edge of my seat (and by that I mean curled up in bed) wondering what was going to happen and how it was all going to work out.

~ The men. Stephanie is best when it comes to creating male characters. If they weren't as charming and hot and romantic as they are, I probably wouldn't read the books.



I didn't like:

~ The self-sacrificing heroine. I am sorry, but seriously, the "I love everyone I've ever met so much that I will willingly and gladly give my life for every one of them" act is getting old. It was annoying with Bella, and it was pretty much unbearable with Wanda. It got so that I was seriously hoping that I would turn the page and she would be saying, "I don't want to die, you die. I barely know you people." Alas, it didn't happen. Maybe next time.

~ The ending, as far as the love story went. I felt it was unfinished and left me feeling empty.

~ Melanie, for most of the book. In the beginning she was alright, but as the book went on she became a whiny, pining, pitiful thing.


I guess that is all I can think of specifically. I couldn't put it down, but the whole time I was missing Edward and the passion, drama and romance of the Twilight series. But it was a good read to tie me over till Breaking Dawn. On the plus side, the whole time I was reading it I kept thinking, "I would change this," or "this part would be so much better if..." So I've gotten the itch to start writing again. Make a story exactly how I want it. So I think I'll dust off the old novel and give it another shot. Who knows, maybe in a few years you all will be reviewing my novel. :)

No comments: