Monday, June 16, 2008

A Threeview

Summer vacation is officially here and with it came a summer tradition I had forgotten about--one that I love: Movie Watching. Since all of our shows are done, Bill and I watch a movie together every night. Sure, it'll be a little more difficult now that he works until ten, but knowing us, we'll pop in a movie as soon as he gets home. We watched three new movies last week, two that we rented and one in the theater. None were worthy enough of their own review (in my opinion) so I thought I'd put them together in one post.



I was really disappointed by this movie. The previews sparked my interest greatly (I love fantasy movies, especially big-budget epic ones) but sometimes, a movie just rubs me the wrong way. It wasn't because of the controversy behind the movie and the books that inspired it, I just didn't like it. The characters didn't feel believable to me in any way, and I was almost embarrassed for Nicole Kidman at times. The only actor I enjoyed watching was the main girl, and that's because she was a child. She didn't look ridiculous walking alongside a talking polar bear or agonizing over magic dust. The adults on the other hand.....
Also, it felt too much like they took a huge story from a huge book and compacted it into a two hour movie, which is exactly what they did, but...it felt too much like it. Information overload. Just when I had my head wrapped around what was happening in a scene, something new was happening. Halfway through the movie I didn't care anymore. I gave up trying to follow it and just enjoyed the wonder that is visual effects.
And then there was the ending...I understand the books are a series and there is more to come, but, seriously, suddenly in the middle of the scene the movie ends. They're off to their next destination to save their world, except that the movie is over. The only way I knew it was over was because the movie had gone on long enough and because the narrator came back on to give a dramatic monologue about their quest and how it wasn't over. Somehow I don't think I'll be joining them for the next leg of their journey.


I love that Disney is putting out real-people movies that are actually good and entertaining, instead of their usual, intelligence-insulting fare (remember Snow Dogs?). Like Pirates of the Caribbean and The Chronicles of Narnia, National Treasure and its sequel are actually good movies with great actors that grown-ups actually want to see, not just sit through to make their kids happy. And because they're Disney, we don't have to deal with the sex or language associated with most action/adventures.
I thought NT2 was just as fun as the first. I love the light humor and the code cracking, and I especially love the American history. (What a tricky way to teach kids about our nation's past, eh?) I was a bit surprised that they stuck like glue to the original format (find a clue, uncrack the code that leads to the next clue, uncrack that code, and so on and so forth until famous buried treasure of untold worth is found), hoping maybe they would mix things up a bit, but I guess you stick with what's successful, right?
I probably won't put a countdown on my blog for the third NT enstallment, but I sure will rent it when it comes out.



We took the kids to see this on a whim Saturday evening, and I was so glad we did. It. Was. Hilarious. I never expected to laugh that much, and Bill laughed more than I did. We both laughed more than the kids put together. (I think they laughed out loud once each, when the panda sat on the leopard's face.) Leave it to Jack Black. I will never doubt his comedic skills again, even if the movie seems like it will be a mediocre, cliche kid movie.
There was a lot of kung fu, but I didn't even mind those parts. Even that was interesting and entertaining. The music and shots of China's gorgeous scenery (albeit computer animated) were great too, but Jack Black (as the title character, Po) made the movie. Every time he opened his mouth I was laughing. If you haven't taken your kids to see it yet, do. (Although you may want to go to a matinee. $30 for our family to go to the movies. What is this world coming to??!!)
Oh, and my kids loved it too. They were even making theories about what would happen, totally engrossed. It was the first movie we've gone to that Payson hasn't fallen asleep in. They've talked about it non-stop ever since, and even came home that night karate-chopping everything in sight. So cute.

Coming soon: My review of What Happens In Vegas (I know, it's taken me awhile. I've been busy.)

14 comments:

Rachael said...

I concur.

Heather said...

Kaden is dying to see KungFu Panda, maybe we'll have to take the plunge.

debsters said...

When my kids chose Kung Fu Panda for their last day of school splurge, I tried to convince them to choose another movie. But I was outvoted, so we went. I was thoroughly entertained from beginning to end. I absolutely loved it. I was suprised how great it was.
I just finished watching NT2 this weekend. (I took my several sittings.) It was really good too. As you said, nothing to worry about.

Vanessa said...

It's so hard to know if animated movies are worth seeing, so I am happy to have your recommendation. We have NT2 from our Netflix, I am excited to see that too.

Jan said...

I can't wait for a little Kung Fu fighting. I want to laugh with Po.

tharker said...

We also love both of the National Treasure movies. In fact a couple of weeks ago, the kids and I spent over an hour doing the code cracking games on the Bonus Features of the first National Treausure movie. It was SO much fun.

We want to see Kung Fu Panda also. I'm glad to hear that it's fun for the parents too.
Thanks for the reviews!!

Sara said...

Thanks for the very informative summer movie review.

meohmyers said...

My kids are begging to see Kung Fu Panda. I hear ya on the $! They charged us $6.50 for Maddie to take a nap in their theater last time. UGH! Everything is so expensive, isn't it?

Thanks for the great reviews! Threeview, clever.

andrea said...

I have just been waiting until someone I know saw Kung Fu Panda to tell me how they liked it! I am so happy to hear you liked it, and I will for sure be seeing it! Thanks for the review.

polka dots said...

I agree with you on the Golden Compass. Can't wait to take my kids to Kung Fu Panda now.

Marilyn said...

Haven't seen Golden Compass, now I know I won't! We saw NT2 on New Years Eve, and it was good, not one of my favorite movies ever, though I totally agree about the adult Disney movies. Love the idea.

My kids have all seen Kung Fu Panda, but Brandon and I haven't (they went with Uncle Taylor) and I really want to see it. Thanks for the reviews. You are the best!

Shayla said...

Haven't seen any of these yet, but I can't wait to see NT2 and Kung Fu Panda. I can't believe I got ousted by the hubby when he took the girls without me! Whatever!? It's been forever since I had some movie popcorn! What am I going to do if you can't do GNO movies this summer with Bill working so late!!!? I guess I'll have to settle with the kids free movies day so I can get my popcorn fix at least. :-)

{ bRee } said...

All I have to say is....SKADUSH! We loved, loved, loved Kung Fu Panda! I wish the others had had more lines, but other than that, AWESOME!

Jodi said...

My kids have been wanting to see "Kung Fu Panda" - thanks for letting me know it's worth the money! ;) They're also waiting for Wall-E.