I really, really like American Idol. I'm not like, a crazy superfan, (you know the type, those obnoxious people who find something they love and become overly obsessive about it? Yeah...those type.) but I do like me some A.I.
Season Eight has not disappointed. It's been as entertaining as all the rest (although that statement makes it seem like all the other seasons were entertaining, and anyone who watched Season Three knows that just isn't true.) and promises just as much talent. I've enjoyed it immensely.
Except one thing.
Cara. Cair-a. Cah-ra. Either way, I'm not a fan. Let me tell you why.
1. I am a firm believer in "if it isn't broke, don't fix it," at least when referring to judges on American Idol. WTC, people? It was just fine. Seven seasons of the same three people with their quirks and their corny jokes and their faux lover's quarrels. Three people we all grew to love. So why, in the name of Mike, would they suddenly decide to throw in a fourth person? It throws everything off when they vote. Oftentimes it's two against two, creating a tie, which apparently means the contestant has made it through (???) Two out of three made a whole lot more sense.
2. Who is she? Is she a singer? Is she a producer? Is she a songwriter? They've made reference to all three, but it's all a bit shady in my opinion. And apparently she has fans but I've never heard of her which means she can't be all that famous.
3. She dominates the judge's panel. She ALWAYS has to get a word in. Even on the ridiculous people who tried out with the hopes of getting on tv, the horrible ones that Simon, Randy and Paula know not to waste any breath on, she still has to jump in there with her wealth of knowledge on all things musical and give said contestant sound advice. Lighten up...some of these are meant to receive the blank stare from the judges and nothing more.
4. If there was any chance of me liking this woman, it was gone with Bikini Girl. I know you remember Bikini Girl, because, hello, she was mostly naked when she auditioned and she talks like a porn star. I love that Paula and Cair-uh were disgusted by her--I was disgusted by her. It's people like her that make me ashamed to be a woman. But I gotta give the girl props for calling it exactly as it was last night when she said that Cah-ruh started to feel threatened and that's why she had to sing. It was so the truth. I was so unbelievably annoyed when she (Cair-u) jumped up and started singing a Mariah Carey song, dancing all hip-hopish. I was embarrassed for her but mostly I wanted to punch her. Kudos to you, Cer-ah. You wanted us to all know what a fabulous singer you are and you found a way. You can sleep better tonight knowing you sing better than Bikini Girl.
5. Her shirts. I wonder if it is actually against her religion to cover her shoulders.
Okay, I'm getting nit-picky here, but in all seriousness, something about her just rubs me the wrong way. You know it's bad when she makes me love Paula.
So...weigh in. Do you like Ckairhuh?