Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Bloggers Unleashed

When did blogging become my life? Three months ago I got on my computer once a month, maybe, to check my e-mail and catch up on the family webites. Now I have to force myself to not sit down at my computer and do the stuff I actually need to do.

Why is this? Why am I so infatuated with people learning about me, and me about them? I have been mulling over this for a few days now, ever since we all started the 100 lists. And this is my theory:

Think of blogging as alcohol. (Just bear with me.) Now, I've never been drunk, but I know from movies and, well, high school, that drinking lowers your inhibitions. That's the way I see blogging. We can all finally say what we've always wanted to say but couldn't for fear of sounding stupid and having to see the look on the face of the person we are talking to.

Now we can say whatever we want (or close to it) and we come across as cool and honest, because we're bloggers! If I was talking to someone and they started spouting off 100 things about themselves, I would have thought, "How self-centered is she?" Or if they started going on and on about a very depressing trip to the therapist I would have been like, "Um, hi Debbie Downer." But I can't get enough of what people I know have to say, if it's in print. There's just something about reading it instead of hearing it. Where else could we brag about our good qualities and not sound conceited?

It sucks that this is how we are. It sucks that we feel like we can't just express what we feel. Why do we always have to preface something that is heartfelt with, "Okay, this is totally cheesy, but..."? And why do we feel we have to apologize for taking one post out of fifty to vent about our parental frustrations? I know for me I always worry people are going to think I'm all dark and depressing, but, come one, one out of fifty? And really, who isn't going through the exact same thing?

It's ironic because we're all terrified of what people will think when we do get all serious and deep, and yet, so far, on these blogs, it's been met with nothing but praise for being honest. And those are my favorites! I would take a deep post about someone's inner-most thoughts over a cute anectote any day.

So, that's my theory. Reading it back it sounds kind of all over the map, but it makes sense in my head and I am not about the re-write the whole thing. Basically, fellow bloggers, I am saying embrace your newfound vocal independence, take the opportunity to let it all out, and try not to think about the reactions on our faces as we read it.

No comments: