Friday, May 4, 2007

Galletas Fiestas!

Kim's Cookie Monster post reminded me of my awesome baking incident last Sunday. My sister invited us over for an impromptu BBQ and said to bring anything that would go well with hamburgers. Being Sunday, I rummaged through my pantry to see what I could come up with. I have a million cake mixes and a few recipes from 101 Things to Do With a Cake Mix, so I decided to make the Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars. I always have what it takes to make them. So I mix all the stuff up and I come to the last ingredient, the chocolate chips. I pull out this giant bag that my mom gave me forever ago which I have always kept in my spice cupboard. I also have a giant bag in my freezer. It had been a while since I'd cooked with chocolate chips (curse you endless diet!!) and since I had some in the freezer I thought, "Hmmmm....I know I put those in the freezer because people told me you could freeze them, but why would you want to unless chocolate chips can go bad? And if chocolate chips can go bad, then these probably would have because they've been sitting in my spice cupboard forever." So I decided to try some to see if they were still good. I popped a few in my mouth. Blech. They tasted like my spice cupboard. But, I had gum in my mouth (I know, weird) so I thought it was perhaps compromising my taste buds, so I asked Bill to try some. He said it tasted a little like spices but it should be alright once it's combined with the all the other stuff. So I added the choco. chips and popped 'em in the oven. Fifteen minutes later they were golden brown and looking delicious.

Fast forward to the BBQ at my sister's. Dinner is finished, dessert is being put out. People start cutting the bars and eating them like crazy and pretty soon there is only about a fourth left. Payson decided he was done with his after a few bites, so I decided to finish it. I took one bite and could barely gag it down. It tasted like taco seasoning and cookies! I looked around in horror at the people sitting there and they of course started asking what was wrong, so I told them the whole story of the chocolate chips and everyone was like, "I had some, they were great" or "I couldn't taste anything wrong." Then my sister-in-law tried one to see and could totally taste it. The look on her face said it all. I was so embarrassed that so much of them were gone and that many people had eaten my disgusting taco seasoned peanut butter bars. So, the moral of the story? Don't keep your chocolate chips in your spice cupboard with the rest of your baking supplies.

No comments: