Thursday, June 28, 2007

Got milk?


Well, I think I finally know what's wrong with me. The blood tests came back normal and said that I am absolutely, no doubt whatsoever, 100% NOT PREGNANT. Neither of these shocked me. However, over the weekend as I waited for my incompetent doctor's office to call with my results, my mom in all her brilliance suddenly threw out the idea that maybe I'm LACTOSE INTOLERANT. I started to think about it and thought that it wouldn't be the least sensible possibility...the nausea, pain in my stomach after eating, the fact that it's hereditary and both my mom and brother suffer from it. She suggested I go off dairy for the weekend and see what happened, at least rule it out as a possibility. So I did, and wouldn't you know it, sitting in primary on Sunday I suddenly realized I wasn't dizzy or nauseous, and hadn't been for a few days. It was crazy! I even slightly shook my head real fast (I'm sure all the primary kids were wondering what the heck I was doing) and couldn't believe that I didn't feel like falling over. I was elated! So I cancelled my ultrasound Monday morning, I was not about to pay for one if I didn't need it. Of course I knew there was a chance I wasn't right, but it just seemed too coincidental that after over four weeks of being completely dizzy and nauseous, it suddenly stopped the minute I eliminated dairy from my diet. And because dairy is in EVERYTHING, at least everything I like, it's been hard to remember all the time and dairy seems to eek it's way into my body at least once a day. And then I feel the slightest bit dizzy and nauseous. Anyway, it hasn't been too bad. Did I ever think I would drink rice milk? No. Have I been able to bring myself to drink it other than in my cold cereal where the taste is well disguised? No. Do I miss cheese and ice cream? Yes. But it's sooooo much better than being dizzy and nauseous. And it's do-able. And it's easier to diet. No ice cream? Hel-lo!




So I'm gonna do the no-dairy thing and if I'm wrong and in a week the nausea comes back, then I'll go in for the ultrasound. In the meantime, pass the rice milk, please.

No comments: