Friday, May 16, 2008

FOR. THE. LOVE.

I have seriously debated even blogging about this because I don't think anyone will believe me.
But, the truth cannot be denied. For my birthday I got..................................................

THE FLU.


Yup. Not kidding. Wish I was. Oh, how I wish I was. I got to enjoy one half of my fabulous, wonderful, extraordinary day and then the rest was spent nauseous, anxious, and unwilling to admit the inevitable. But the flu has a way of coming whether you want it to or not. And we all know how NOT I want it to come.

SERIOUSLY?!

Who gets the flu on their birthday? For any Average Joe it would suck, right? But me?! I have to say, I don't get it. And what else I don't get, is the fact that I seem to get the flu more than anybody I know. How fair is that? No one else seems to ever get it from their kids, or if they do, it's a fluke thing. Nope, I get it from my kids 9 times out of 10 when they get it. And that's not counting the times I get it on my own, when no one else has been sick.

You may be thinking that maybe I bring it on myself. Maybe my anxiety builds up so much I make myself sick. (Believe me, you would not be the first to think this.) But if you know me at all (I don't keep it much of a secret), you know that this is literally at the top of my list of things I am terrified (for lack of a much stronger word) of and will avoid it at all costs. So if I do it, it is because it is going to happen and there is nothing I can do to stop it. Besides, was I sitting around on my birthday freaking out that I was going to get sick? Um....no. If there was ever a day I worried less about getting sick, felt completely immune to getting sick, it was yesterday. WHO GETS SICK ON THEIR BIRTHDAY?! In the words of Jeff Probst, I was completely BLINDSIDED.

So there you have it, the awful truth. Birthday week has come to an end two days early, or at least temporarily postponed. What should have been a great day has been spent on my couch in utter misery. (Although I feel mostly better, the day after I get sick is almost worse for me. I am completely riddled with anxiety, just waiting for that awful feeling to come back.)

So, I am going to postpone announcing the winner of my Birthday Quiz. I have had some feedback from those closest to me saying some of the questions were completely unfair and impossible and deceiving (said in the nicest possible way, of course). Seeing as my own sister and husband got them wrong, I have to agree. So as I recuperate and figure out how to best attack this problem, I am avoiding the situation for now altogether. I think that's fair, don't you?

Oh yeah. Happy Birthday to me.

No comments: