Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Butt Crack of Dawn

This morning I achieved the impossible, or at least what I thought was the impossible: I woke up at 6:30 and actually dragged myself out of bed, outside into the chilly morning air, and went walking.

I know. What??!! For anyone who knows me, their jaw just dropped to the floor. I don't wake up until my kids are literally standing next to me, shaking me, begging for breakfast. If my kids are still sleeping, I am still sleeping. I have maybe woken up before my kids three times. But Bill and I have been attempting every morning to wake up early and exercise, for several obvious reasons:

1) There is no other time of day I have found that works to exercise, especially not the same time every day. So then I just don't do it.
2) How awesome would it be to have been up and exercised and showered and ready for the day before my kids get up? Then I am guarenteed to look "ready for the day" for the whole day. This almost never happens.
3) I know it would seriously improve the way I feel both physically and emotionally.

We have tried for three days, but to no avail. I kept praying to help me to do it, and this morning I did. I bundled up and me and my iPod went power-walking around my neighborhood, weaving up and down each street til my burning ankles couldn't take it any more. (Walking outside on pavement in the cold as opposed to inside on a moving treadmill is a lot harder!)

The whole time I just kept thinking, "I can't believe I'm doing this. This is so weird. This isn't me, I don't do this." I was so proud of myself. Especially when I got back to find Bill still bundled up in bed. (He was supposed to be working out also.)

Who knew there was life at 6:30 am? I couldn't believe the amount of cars pulling out of driveways or getting heated up, the corners with kids waiting for buses. I felt like a visitor to some strange planet. The world just has a completely different feel in the morning.

So this was a huge accomplishment for me, and I'm pretty darn proud of myself. While those of you still snoozing away are enjoying the warmth and comfort of your cozy beds, I'll be outside in the cold with throbbing ankles getting skinny and healthy. Yea me!

*I was going to put "Let's Get it Started" by the wonderful Black Eyed Peas, my all-time favorite work out song, but Hotget is stupid, stupid, stupid.

No comments: