Thursday, April 26, 2007

Canine Companion


Did you see me walking my dog at 7:00 this morning? What's that? I don't have a dog? Oh, that's right, it was the stupid stray dog that joined me for some early morning exercise down Chapel Hill Blvd. I'm guessing somehow it found out that my walking partner (Shayla) slept in and decided to fill her spot.

So Butch, as I've decided to call him, walks up behind me out of NOWHERE and starts sniffing the back of my legs and scares the holy CRAP out of me. It must have been a sight to see for the drivers passing by, me jumping in the air and almost tripping, scared to death. Then Butch proceeds to walk with me down CHB. No, not along side me, not behind me. Weaving in and out in front, behind, all over, tripping me a million times. He was sniffing along the fence, wandering into people's yards, peeing in their lawn...I'm sure it looked swell to people assuming it's my dog and I'm one of those obnoxious pet owners who let their dog run free and do their business wherever they feel like it. No, I'm not, I HATE those people!!

But the highlight of the walk was when Butch squatted directly in front of me and pooped out what looked like mustard on the sidewalk. I barely side-stepped it in time. Awesome.

So halfway down CHB, right about the time I'm ready to drop-kick Butch into the nearest yard, I hear someone calling way behind me. Finally, I think. Butch's owners have decided to actually take responsibility for their pet and come get him. I glance back and see a tall woman waving her arms, obviously calling for Butch. I turn back around and keep walking, only to have my brain register what it saw. It was Shayla! I stop suddenly and turn around to walk back to Shayla, not realizing that Butch had been directly behind my feet, causing me to kick him in the stomach and knock him into the street. I barely caught myself from face planting it on the sidewalk. Seriously, when Adam ate the fruit, he gave us sickness, weeds and DOGS.

Shayla is laughing at what she is seeing, and when we meet up she tells me how she slept in and ran through the neighborhood to catch up with me, which also gave us a laugh. Butch now follows the two of us through Lovisa Farms, tripping both of us, all the way back to the park. At this point we say our goodbye's as Butch squats and marks his territory on the sidewalk, a perfect finale to my walk with Butch.

I have to say, the whole time I'm thinking what a great blog this will be, thankful that I didn't have to look up the history of socks, which I was actually going to do.
Butch wasn't a pug, I just thought this picture was funny.

No comments: