Thursday, April 5, 2007

Girl Gone Wild: Spring Break

Wow, what a weekend and half a week it's been. Let's start with Friday. It all started with me picking up a girl (McKenzie, from our ward, whose mom had just had her baby that morning) from school along with Macy (another lady in my ward was watching their kids, but couldn't fit all her own kids and the other kids into her van, which left me to pick up McKenzie from school and watch her a few hours). Kim called and asked if we wanted to go to the park, so we all went to the park, Kim and her kids, me and my kids, and McKenzie. It was fine, the kids had fun, but there are no bathrooms which makes me crazy so we had to bug a lady from our ward who lives right next to the park once and make a quick run home and back once.
While at the park I noticed that my throat was hurting, and was quickly getting worse. But my day was not about to go on hold because of my throat, so then it was off to the school again to pick up the son of the lady watching McKenzie and her siblings, and Amy's boys because she too was stuck at home watching various kids. So I drop off Amy's boys at her house, and pick up Abby and Owen. Amy had been watching them while Danyelle was out of town for the day but was leaving to go camping. Then I took McKenzie and the boy to his house. At this point, my skin had started to hurt and the pain in my throat, neck, shoulders and head was making me nauseaus, but off to home we went, and luckily for me the kids just went outside to play. I sat feeling like death warmed over dinking around on the computer until Ryan came and picked up Owen and Abby and Bill came home. The minute I saw Bill I said, "Goodnight" and headed into bed.
That night was miserable, every time I woke up to roll over my throat would be killing me and I literally had to cringe every time I swallowed. I told Bill if it was still that bad the next day I was going in. The next morning it was even worse, but I had forgotten it was General Conference and really wanted to watch. But Bill could see how miserable I was and sent me to the doctor. I called ahead and got my name on the list and they told me an hour and a half, so I waited til then to go. I got there and they told me another hour. So I ran to my pharmacy to get a refill when they called and said they were ready for me. So I went back and proceeded to find out I had strep. (I was surprised, because whenever I'm sure I have strep, I never do.) So then it was back to the pharmacy, where of course it would be 15-20 mins. so I left again and got my family lunch, then went back to the pharmacy, got my meds. and was finally able to go home. (Keep in mind I felt like I'd been hit by a truck.)
Drugs are soooooo great. I am so grateful that I live in a time when we have modern medicine. One Amoxicillan and one Tylenol with Codeine later I was in medicated bliss. I could swallow!!
I only had to take the one Codeine, and after that the Amoxicillan had kicked in enough I didn't need any more pain killers. The rest of Saturday was pretty good, Sunday was even better. By Monday I felt great, just in time to watch two little boys all day Tuesday. I know for some people watching other people's kids all day long is nothing, but I don't do it often, and it exhausts me. And these were two really great little boys, super easy!
Then, yesterday was kind of crazy as well, but that's another story.
I'm actually glad that it's been like this, because usually weeks of no school mean us sitting around being totally lazy, watching movies all day.
So, here's hoping the next half of the week is full of action as well, except maybe strep-free. That I could do without.

No comments: