Monday, April 2, 2007

The Devil Wears Prada

For today's movie I chose another chick flick. I'm not sure why I keep choosing chick flicks, as they are by no means my favorite. I guess I'm (in the words of Simon, Paula and Randy) "playing it safe." I know how you gals love your chick flicks. Don't get me wrong, I like a good chick flick, too, but for me, they're like vanilla ice cream. You finish it and say, "That was good, it hit the spot." But finish a good, gut-wrenching drama, and it's like a chocolate sundae with everything on it. You're satisfied to the core, so much so that several hours later, you're still thinking about it. But, last night I watched
The Devil Wears Prada.

I hadn't seen it since the theaters, and thoroughly enjoyed watching it again. It stars Anne Hathaway as a newly graduated aspiring journalist trying to make her big break into the world of publishing, and Meryl Streep, the cold but powerful editor of Runway Magazine, who hires her as her new assistant. I could go on about the plot, but why, when it's the least memorable and interesting part of the movie? Instead, I'll talk about what makes the movie so fun.
  • Meryl Streep plays Miranda Priestly like she was born for it. She could very well have over-played the part by being loud and dramatic in order to achieve the power and respect Miranda demanded, but instead under-played it, speaking barely above a whisper the entire movie. It's this minimalist take on it that makes her frightening. Her actions are so subtle, her dialogue so scarce, that one slight turn of the head or one simple word is effective enough to make the viewer feel the fear that Miranda Priestly conveys.
  • If anyone could steal the show from Meryl, it's Emily Blunt, who most of you know as Michael's significant other. (He was at every awards show with her.) Emily plays Miranda's 1st assistant named Emily whose job it is to train Anne Hathaway. Emily, in all her British-accented, designer labeled glory, is clawing her way to the top of the fashion world ladder. You can't help but love her as she spouts disdainful orders and insults at Anne, with no visible conscience or compassion. She is perfect as a desperate wannabe fashionista who will do anything to break into the designer world, even if it means eating nothing but a few cheese cubes.
  • Obviously, the costumes alone were worth watching this movie for. (FYI-many designers allowed their clothes and accessories to be used in the film, making it the most expensively-costumed movie in history.) Although I by no means claim to be fashionable, I had a lot of fun seeing what is considered "in" and imagining what it would be like to have a closet full of that stuff. It was also fun to see (once again) Anne Hathaway get a mid-movie makeover. No one can play both homely and comely like she can.
  • Getting a glimpse into life in the fashion world, the lengths people will go through, the toes they will step on to get there. It was fascinating to me to watch, as if it was a whole other world. They really do view the little people (like me) as the ground they walk on. And of course the fashion week in Paris, with all the cobblestone streets and little white lights on the trees and buildings was delightful.

So there is my take on The Devil Wears Prada.

What's yours?

8 comments:

dandee said...

Love this movie! I love any movie that has a "makeover" scene. It's my dream. The costumes were awesome as were the makeup and hair styles. Meryl Streep is amazing! I can't think of another actress that can compete with her. (other than you, Alicia) Great movie pick!

Marilyn said...

Alicia, first of all, I think you should lobby to take over the Tri-City Herald's Mr. Movie spot. He is the worst movie critic I've ever read. I disagree with him like 99.99% of the time. I would agree with YOU like 99.99% of the time. (Except, you should definitely change the article name to Mrs. Movie!)

I like this movie as well, and definitely thought Emily Blunt stole the show from Anne Hathaway. She was hilarious.

I love dramas and comedies, but chick flicks are my favorites. Keep em' coming!

[M] said...

I really liked this show too...

Heather said...

I loved seeing all the clothes and accessories.

It's amazing to me that there is an entire world out there that doesn't buy their clothes at JCPenny's and Target- seriously their handbags are like more than my entire wardrobe. So crazy to me!!

Noelle said...

i had a fun time watching this movie. i am also not too much into fashion but i could really imagine having a makeover so it was so fun to live through hers. and i agree with marilyn - you are amazing at this movie critiqueing (sp) thing. you are amazing at remember things. your description of meryl streep was better than any i've ever read. especially that part about her speaking barely above a whisper the entire movie. i did not catch that but as soon as i read it from you it all made sense. you are so good!

Alicia said...

Noelle, I laughed as I read your praise of my review. Now I have to confess, I promise it was all my own words, but I'm pretty sure it was People's review of it that I read that mentioned the "barely above a whisper" part. And it was so true, so I had to put it in my review. It was all my own words, though, I promise. Sorry, Noelle, and Marilyn, have I totally disappointed you?

tharker said...

I still haven't seen this movie. But after all of the rave reviews I need to have a chick flick night.

Noelle said...

i'm all about making someone else's words your own! i am the queen of not making stuff up on my own and taking the credit so alteast you fessed up! no, you are still amazing critiquess (like princess) and i'd love to hear more - people magazine inspired or not.