Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Go Ahead, Make My Day

You know what I love?

I love getting personal emails. Nothing excites me more than opening my inbox and seeing someone has written me. It makes my day.

I love getting comments on my blog. (Don't we all?) I love hearing what people have to say about what I have to say.

I love it when my husband takes my kids somewhere so that I can regain my sanity. It is a cherished, cherished thing.

I love it when one of my kids randomly comes up and cuddles and says "I love you." It makes all the rest worth it.

I love to eat out. Not so much fun when I'm dieting, but still, I love it.

I love getting a good, uninterrupted nap. It's a very good thing for me.

I love it when someone offers to watch my kids. It doesn't happen often, but I can't tell you how much I love it. I despise having to ask people to watch my kids, even teenage girls who would get paid for it.

I love when people reference my blog on their blog, because I know they're thinking about me.

I love when I realize there's a new show on at night--not a rerun.

I love getting on the scale when I wake up in the morning and seeing it's gone down. Even though right now it's just getting back down to where it was before the holidays, it's still exciting.

These are just some of the things that get me through the day.
Things that make an otherwise routine, unspectacular day a little
more exciting. After an especially horrendous day, I thought I'd
reflect on the things that usually make my days happier.

One major thing that gets me through the day is blogging. It has
become a serious lifeline for me. Because I am not a phone talker,
and do not have time to be one, I rely on the world wide web for
almost all of my outside communication. I can be holed up in my
house and still feel like I'm "talking" to all my friends, or at least
know what's going on in their lives.

But I've had a nagging feeling lately that blogging is sort of fading out.
Maybe it's just a fear that it will, but it seems like readers and/or
commenters are dwindling. (And I'm not just referring to my own
blog.) This cannot happen. I will not allow it. But what can I do?

After giving it much thought, I decided that the only thing I can
do personally to help keep the blogosphere rolling, is to support
blogging more. I know I won't single-handedly keep blogging going
strong, but at least I will know I am doing my part.

So here's what I came up with: If you are reading this, leave a comment.
I will in turn add you to my Google Reader and not only read your blog,
but comment on a regular basis. It's the least I can do. And it's only fair.
(If you have a private blog, send me an invitation. If for some reason your name
will not link to your blog, leave your blog address for me .) If I already read
and comment on your blog, just say hello, because, well, I had a horrendous
day and I could really use the pick-me-up.

Also, I urge those of you who are reading blogs--any blogs--and not
commenting, to do so. Because we put ourselves out there for all to
read, and really, we all want some feedback. Anyone who says they
don't is lying.

Also, if you ever feel like it, drop me a line at
movie_queen15@msn.com
I will email you back, surprisingly fast.

So there. I have done my part. If blogging dies out, it will not be my
fault. (Although Blogger is lucky they are getting my support with
their heinous spacing.) However, if anyone actually got down to the
bottom of this ridiculously long post, it will be a miracle.

42 comments:

Jodi said...

You know what I love? Reading your blog!!! And having you for a friend. I feel like I've really missed out on a lot while I was in Mexico and during Christmas break. It's good to be "back!" :) We need to do something soon!

Ben and Alissa said...

FINE! You pulled us out of the woodwork! And I say us because Ben and I both love your blogs!
I've been reading it ever since Katie was just a newborn and would not sleep much at night for the first several months. So while I was holding a crying baby, I would sit or stand at the computer and read your blog (starting at the beginning) and it made my otherwise miserable sleepless nights much, much more bearable and many times I'd be laughing out loud at 3 o'clock in the morning. So thanks!! I guess I owe you for that, so here's the first comment of many I will start leaving!

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Great post!

I've kinda felt like the blogosphere is slowing down too, and I've certainly been guilty of it for the past week or so...

This post totally struck home with me, because there are times when I think about putting a post up, and then I get all "c'mon... as if anyone really wants to read about that..."

So here's your comment - and I think I'll go write something on my blog to keep things moving!

NaDell said...

I LOVE blogging and find myself checking them constantly when I'm home. It's very addicting.
People really do love comments. I always try to comment at least every other post of people I know well who don't get many comments, so they'll keep on posting funny things for me to read and updates on their lives.
I wouldn't want them to forget their passwords or anything. People thank me for commenting even and say it makes them feel as though people read their blog, so I guess it's worked out well.
I love your blog and learning more about you. It's been so long since you were in our ward and I didn't feel like I knew you that well, but now I do. I always go back and read all the old posts too! I like to do that so I know the history. (Your blog is the longest of the ones I had to catch up on back posts, by the way.) You're awesome. Hope you enjoy all the comments.
NaDell

Amy said...

So I feel like 95% of this post came straight from my head. And if I wasn't so stinkin' tired I would comment on each of your thoughts/points individually, but I just can't be that smart right now. The letters are blurring already...And this is going to start sounding completely incoherent any second. I am a comment snob/whore... I want them but I don't hand them out. That's my only complaint about Google Reader. And I wish that I had the time/energy/brain power to blog more right now but I seem to be in a slump, or at least I am every time I actually have a minute to sit down at the computer.
So, great job summing up my feelings and making me feel guilty all at the same time...I resolve to comment and blog more!

Brenda said...

You put a smile on my face! Love the post... I have been slacking on comments and posts, but only because all I do lately is PACK! It stinks - really!!! I will try to find a cute box to take a pic of and post about... Thanks for the pick-me-up!

meohmyers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacia said...

I'm sorry you had a bad day. But glad you could think of all the things that make it good.

I too think that blogging is not as "popular" as it was. But you can say that about a lot of things the mormon ladies do. Scrapbooking is the first that comes to mind. Frenzied fads.

I'm bad about comments too, I try to jet through reading so I can hurry and do things that I need to do. I don't post as much and my "readership" has gone down since then.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow!

tharker said...

I am reading ;)

Nancie said...

Im here too. Mitch and I laugh out loud when we read you're blog 'cause you're sooo funny. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

i got your back alicia and your blog is one of the first places i go every morning!

Lisa Christine said...

Bloggers Unite!

Marilyn said...

Blogging will not die...I won't let it either. It is my lifeline too.

Alicia, I love you.

andrea said...

You are probably the best blogger I know, and I love when I see you've made a new post! I'm glad to hear you plan on continuing for a very long time.

dandee said...

Thanks for putting us all in check. I've been a lazy commenter the past couple of weeks. I vow to do better!

Love you!

AOlson said...

I too consistently read your blog but don't consistently comment. I apologize and will try and do better. I have been very lazy with teh blogging lately because the rest of my life seems very busy right now. It's been hard getting back into a routine after the holidays for me.

P.S. I did make it to the end of your post:)

Shayla said...

I love blogging, too. I'm just better at reading them then I am at writing them. I don't get it either, I really love to write blogs...I just seem to go weeks without sitting down and doing it. I love how consistent you are at writing and I love reading your blog. I'm sorry you had a crappy day yesterday...I was thinking about emailing you cause I was having one of those days too...but then I never did. Hope today is better!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I am a believer in the Alicia blog of awesomeness! I love your blog...and I love a lot of the same things as you.

BLOGGING
EMAILS
COMMENTS
DINNER OUT
NAPS.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the regular comments on my blog. I know at least one person, maybe 2 people read it.

Unknown said...

look at all those comments! you are SO popular! awesome. i hope these help you feel better. horrendous days suck. plain and simple. i will email you. i too love email. that isn't from costco or somewhere where no one knows me. :)

linda said...

THANK YOU!!! I love reading your blog. Even when I am just sitting at home feeling sorry for myself, your blog always makes me laugh!

meohmyers said...

Look at you, Miss Popular! Hope you're having a better day today!

::lindsay said...

Yeah, I hear ya. I've been a lazy commenter lately as well. I will be better!

polka dots said...

i read your blog often. I comment when I have a second. I pledge to do better.

Brenda said...

Hello.

melissa mae said...

I've been having the same fears! At least you get a lot of comments. I hardly get any. And as an artist, its a little discouraging. But I have to remember that I'm also blogging for memories sake. I will eventually turn my blogs into scrapbooks.

Amy J. said...

I have never gotten 26 comments in my life! You still got it woman!

Natasha said...

Keep 'em coming Alicia. You didn't even have to do a giveaway to get us out of the woodwork. :) PS does you trampoline have a net? maybe that's why it doesn't budge.

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Amy J, you're so right...

I've done similar begging for comments before, and maybe gotten 8 or 9... Heck, even bringing a baby home didn't break into the 20s...

Aww crap! I just contributed to the flood of Alicia's comments!!

Unknown said...

Alica, yep you even got me out of the woods, I am TERRIBLE at commenting not because your blog isn't keeping me laughing or crying but because I am too shy to put myself out there! Actually that is why I have always had mine private but someone told me I shouldn't, I am what I am and I have to accept it and share. In a hundred years (or sooner) it all will not matter much except that I share now. Hang in there and hope you have a great week to make for the bad day!

hatch said...

I have been very lazy about commenting lately too, and have had many of the same thoughts that you have had. Way to turn a bad day around and make it a good one!
It looks like you are going to be a busy!!

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Good post, I read quiet a few but am guilty of not commenting... I will work on that!
Have a great day!

Nicole said...

Hey, I'm still here - just add me to the lazy pile;)

Ms. Kristen said...

It has been too long since I have blogged. I love it and will never stop. I always read your posts. Very entertaining and you write it "real"...which I love!

Heather said...

Yeah, I agree with the blogging kind of fading, it's weird. I hope it doesn't die completely or I might too.

dandee said...

SO much leeshie love. Makes me happy.

PRP said...

I'm not completely lame...my googlereader still only has your movie blog in it and I often try NOT to read those posts because you always get to movies before me! But, I've finally added this one in and I'll be here regularly!

Kristi said...

I actually banished myself from Blogworld. Then I snuck back, but on a conditional basis: no local blogs. That is slowly disappearing. See? I peeked at your blog today. And I peeked at it awhile ago when you put up your Christmas wishlist. I can't seem to stay away! So keep blogging, Alicia. Blogworld is here to stay.

ashley said...

Thanks for the great post Alicia, and the pick me up! I love to hear about what you have to say because you get straight to the point and keep things real by writing about the "Corner's of your Mind."

I have had a hard time with posting, life is busy. But I try to get around, read, and comment on everyone's blogs so it's good to know that you enjoy and appreciate the comments your readers post :)

Amy said...

Really??? You will read and comment on my blog?? I love reading your blog! You crack me up. And I also REALLY love comments. Sorry you had a bad day!
p.s. I have also referenced you on my blog before. :)

MichelleB said...

Holy Cow!!! Look at all those comments. I am the lazy of the lazy. One post a month is pathetic!!! Too tired and nothing fun to say. You are the best and I love your blog.

Lovely Lindsay said...

oh! me, too... i'm here! i read you!
love, lindsay