Thursday, January 29, 2009

Secret Revealed

So, remember that highly classified, top secret project I was talking about? Well, it was a job that I was trying for. My cousin works at Cedar Fort, a publishing company in Utah. When she caught wind of a possible job opening for someone not "in house" (i.e. some random stay at home mom with no credentials or writing experience whatsoever) she threw out my name to her boss! The job was for an ad copy/blurb cover editor. I know, come again? Ad copies are the little paragraphs in catalogs (like Seagull and Deseret News) that describe the books being advertised, and cover blurbs are the synopses on the backs of the actual books they publish. I died at just the prospect of having my words published on the backs of real books. Anyway, I knew it was a long shot but I was ecstatic to even have the opportunity to try for it. I wrote four cover blurbs for four actual manuscripts that were going to press in March (this is what I was referring to when I was saying this secret project was taking up so much of my time) and on Tuesday my cousin presented them to her boss. And then I waited to hear.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

You are now reading the blog of Cedar Fort, Inc.'s new ad copy/cover blurb editor!
I seriously am in shock. I cannot believe they hired me, sight unseen, no college education, no degree, no literary experience whatsoever, not even a resume! (Which is really good, since all it would say is "Mom.") My cousin, Jen, is my new hero. She totally took the biggest chance suggesting me, and I owe her....well, something pretty, that's for sure. She had faith in my writing abilities and I love her for that. This has been the biggest boost for me, to know that actual professionals in the writing industry have used words such as "impressed" and "talented" when referring to me. ME!

So the next time you're in a bookstore and flip over a book to read about it on the back, you just may be reading my words! (Oh, and three of the four cover blurbs I wrote as a test, to try to get the job, are going on the books to be published in March!)

Congratulations to me? I think so!

40 comments:

AOlson said...

THIS IS SO AMAZING ALICIA!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I AM SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU! I KNOW YOU WILL DO A GREAT JOB:) I CAN'T WAIT TO READ YOUR FIRST SYNOPSIS.

Rachael said...

This is so awesome! Can you tell us the names of the books coming out in March? I can't wait to hear the details. Seriously, Congratulations!

ashley said...

Way to go Alicia! Cedar Fort seems like a great company, Jen is always talking about how much she loves her job! This is so exciting for you :)

Kate said...

That is soooo exciting!! Congrats!
You are definatly the one for the job, you are an amazing writer and I enjoy reading your blog so much. Can't wait to see your work :)

meohmyers said...

You forgot to mention the phrase, "better than the original" when referring to those professionals describing your writing! I am SOOOOOOOOO excited for you to have this opportunity! What a way to get your foot in the door! This is so perfect for you and you will do fantastic. Congrats, again, from your #1 fan!!!!!

MichelleB said...

That is awesome!!!! I am so excited for you! Can't wait to see some of your published work. Does this mean you get to read books before they are on the market? See things before anyone else? Congratulations!!

Amy said...

FAN-TASTIC!!!!!! Im holding carson typing w/1 hand...best you're gonna get from me right now!!!!

Shayla said...

So, so, so, so, sooooo excited for you!!!!! I've been thinking about this all week, wondering when you would hear and WHAT you would hear. What an incredible blessing for your family, as well. So awesome!

melissa mae said...

DUDE! I am sooo excited for you! Please let us know which books you've written on the back of. I'm going to buy them and have you autograph them!

linda said...

CONGRATS!!!!!

Amy said...

WOW, Alicia!!! That's AWESOME!!! Congratulations!

Natasha said...

Those people at Cedar Fort are smart! Congratulations, sounds like perfection.

Ben and Alissa said...

Alicia I am so excited for you! I'm glad you let me in on the little secret and all week I've been thinking about you and hoping it was all going to work out, and it did! YAY!!!

Jodi said...

That is so awesome Alicia!!!!! I'm so excited for you--and I feel so proud of you too! That is just so cool! You'll be awesome!!!

Btw, there's more "good news" on my blog for you - not as exciting compared to your news, but hopefully you'll be happy.

Anonymous said...

Yay Alicia! What a dream come true...you deserve it girl!

Debie Spurgeon said...

Absolutely no suprise to me Alicia. I've told you before you've got it. REally terrific job, I'm so proud of you for going for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andrea said...

That is SO EXCITING!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!!! Knew you could do it!!!

tharker said...

This is so perfect for you!! I am so happy and excited that you got this opportunity. Congratulations!!!!!

polka dots said...

how freaking cool!!!!!! good for you!

::lindsay said...

That is awesome Alicia! I'm really excited for you. You are a very talented writer!

JenFielding said...

Alicia, I love that we "work" together now, a thousand miles apart! Hey, I forgot to tell you that my boss gets emails sent to him whenever Cedar Fort is written on someone's blog. I'm not kidding. He'll probably forward me the link sometime today. It's funny, sometimes if someone gets rejected they rant about it on their blog and he is alerted. So, if you ever have anything bad to say, write it CFI. :)

P.S. Instead of something pretty could it be something lovely?

aubrey said...

I will throw my congrats with your other 50! That is so awesome! You are so good at what you do, I love reading your blog! HURRAH!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

OH MY GOSH! I am so excited for you! My heart is bursting with happiness!

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I love this! Congratulations!! This will be a fun adventure, I am sure :)

Heather said...

LUCKY!! (napoleon voice)

See, we've all been telling you for years.... glad you finally got the outside validation. Congrats, this is really something awesome.

l.a.c. said...

"smart, witty, energetic, and dynamic!" - that's my review :)

great for YOU!

Brenda said...

Hooray! Hope this will not make you to busy to still come to card night and stuff :) Good Luck!

PRP said...

Amazing! You must feel so good about yourself that your skills are finally being recognized. Can't wait to see what you have to say!

Unknown said...

you are seriously sooo good at this. there is no one i've ever read who can synopsis a story better than you. your movie reviews are professional and i can't wait to read your book blurbs. way to go!

Kristi said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! That's me screaming in excitment for you. WAY TO GO! That is so awesome. I am thrilled for you. What a boost! What great news! You now have an income producing outlet for your crazy talent! You ROCK! Great job! You are definitely on your way to getting your novel published one day, now that you have contacts in the publishing industry! Woo-hoo!

Susan said...

Amazing and awesome....congratulations

Nicole said...

Holy Cow Alicia!!! That is amazing news. I could not be happier for you. Congrats. You deserve it. I knew there was something different about your wave this morning;)

Lisa said...

go on and get yours, girl!!!

Lisa Christine said...

Alicia-
This is wonderful! I am so happy for you and I know that you are perfect for the job. Congratulations!

Amy J. said...

Alicia...YOU ROCK.

Johnston Gang said...

okay alicia, im coming out of hiding (marisa and I love your blog)(this is kathryn) im am so excited for you! what a cool job! and you'll be awesome at it!!! congrats!!!

Alicia Leppert said...

Kathryn!! I've seen you on other blogs and wondered if you'd ever make it to mine! Thanks for coming out of the blogging closet!

dandee said...

SO happpy for you Alicia! I never had a doubt you could do it.

Johnston Gang said...

your blog is so entertaining and REAL! -thats why marisa and i love it so much! i always loved your personality!

Johnston Gang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.