Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Novel Idea

So, like I said, I've been working furiously writing my novel. On any given evening, I can be found curled up in the corner of my couch, paper and pen in hand. (I prefer to write first, then type.) Often I am distracted and have to abandon my notebook for a few minutes while I attend to my motherly/wifely duties.

The other night I came back to my notebook after putting my kids to bed. I had last left off having just started a new page, and had written two words so far before being interrupted:
"It was". I came back to my notebook and saw this:



I started laughing and couldn't stop. Apparently Bill had seen my start of the sentence and decided he knew what was supposed to come next. He said he saw "it was" and the first thing that came to mind was that part from A Christmas Story where Ralphie is dreaming he is blind.
"It...it was....SOAP POISONING."

Bill is still trying to convince me to work it into the story somehow. I said I'll do my best.

15 comments:

Marilyn said...

The best laugh I've had in a long long time. I love Bill's sense of humor.

Rachael said...

Wy is Bill so funny?! Actually, you guys are one hilarious couple. I think Bill should get to write a whole chapter right in the middle of the book....

dandee said...

Just another reason to love your husband.

Shayla said...

Love that Bill's sense of humor. I'm so curious about your novel...can't wait to someday read it!

andrea said...

Ok, now I believe you... he really is funny!

Amy J. said...

It looks like soup poisoning to me...I think the best kind of laughter is that kind. Where he didn't tell you about it right away but let you stumble on to it. Way to go Willhelm!

aubrey said...

That is awesome! I, like Amy, thought it said "soup poisoning" too! SO FUNNY!

meohmyers said...

Too funny! I can totally hear Ralphie saying it how you typed it. That Bill, so witty.

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I think Bill's genius transcends all genres, and from this point forward, I will consider ALL novels incomplete unless they include those four words!

Genius. Sheer genius.

PRP said...

Hilarious! I can't wait to see if it makes it into the final cut.

Unknown said...

husbands are so good sometimes at comic relief. awesome, bill. so good. i still haven't seen that movie the whole way through.

Melissa Mae Johnson said...

ha ha! Oh man, that's the best line ever.

NAVAL LANGA said...

I have read some of your posts and would like to revisit.

If you like reading short stories from an Indian writer, then a visit to my blogs would be an interesting one for you.

Naval Langa
SHORT STORIES by NAVAL LANGA
PAINTINGS GALLERIES

Another Interesting Blog
LIFESTYLE AND RELATIONSHIP

Amy said...

So funny! Why is it that our husbands are both hilarious and not many people know it?? I feel like it's such an injustice!

Amy said...

I thought I commented on this already. This made me laugh. That is so awesome that you are writing a book! Good luck!